Twas the month before Christmas and all through the land
With schedules to be tweaked and parties to plan,
Frazzled moms functioning on their very last nerve
To take advantage of Black Friday prices absurd.
The want lists and wish lists always abound
With that remote controlled thingy that can never be found.
Sears, Walmart, Target and more.
What I really want can’t come from a store
Whatever happened to the time
When the feelings of Christmas cost not even a dime.
Time was spent with loved ones galore
Playing cards and Dominoes, who needed more?
It has been hard to remember
Many happy feelings felt each and every December,
When attacked from left and right
With what I ought to get for everyone in sight.
I loath the gift exchange more than hard child labor
Fretting over which gifts will be savored
And which ones will inevitably be placed aside
With not even a ‘Thanks’ but merely a sigh
Assignments to whom I am to bless
Is the way in a family with too much stress.
Families are growing and so is our debt
Why can’t you be happy with what you get?
If you, dear reader, do not receive
Something from your list made out especially for me,
Just be grateful for all that you have
And quit being so darn selfish, you’re making me mad.
My time is wasted in trivial endeavors
To present a towering pile of worthless treasures
That are meaningless once the day is through
and we all move on to more important things to do.
Christmas to me means more than all this!
It’s a celebration of life and what we would miss
If our Savior denied us our greatest endowment
Of life everlasting and what it all meant.
Please understand that I love you all
And my family is more important than the mall
Remember this season is about love and acceptance
No matter what you lack when opening your presents.
With schedules to be tweaked and parties to plan,
Frazzled moms functioning on their very last nerve
To take advantage of Black Friday prices absurd.
The want lists and wish lists always abound
With that remote controlled thingy that can never be found.
Sears, Walmart, Target and more.
What I really want can’t come from a store
Whatever happened to the time
When the feelings of Christmas cost not even a dime.
Time was spent with loved ones galore
Playing cards and Dominoes, who needed more?
It has been hard to remember
Many happy feelings felt each and every December,
When attacked from left and right
With what I ought to get for everyone in sight.
I loath the gift exchange more than hard child labor
Fretting over which gifts will be savored
And which ones will inevitably be placed aside
With not even a ‘Thanks’ but merely a sigh
Assignments to whom I am to bless
Is the way in a family with too much stress.
Families are growing and so is our debt
Why can’t you be happy with what you get?
If you, dear reader, do not receive
Something from your list made out especially for me,
Just be grateful for all that you have
And quit being so darn selfish, you’re making me mad.
My time is wasted in trivial endeavors
To present a towering pile of worthless treasures
That are meaningless once the day is through
and we all move on to more important things to do.
Christmas to me means more than all this!
It’s a celebration of life and what we would miss
If our Savior denied us our greatest endowment
Of life everlasting and what it all meant.
Please understand that I love you all
And my family is more important than the mall
Remember this season is about love and acceptance
No matter what you lack when opening your presents.
~Holly Davis
7 comments:
PERFECT!!! I love it! Perfectly said. Is it ok if I copy this? See I told you you were amazing.
anyone can share this silly little poem I busted out last night as long as nobody get offended!
Awesome!! It thrills me to no end to see your gifts and talents emerging so beautifully. Christ is the reason for the season, and to be with family is such a great wonderful gift. Cherish it. As you said, "what I really want can't come from a store"! So true, so true! I love you, you are doing fabulous! Merry Christmas Sweetheart to you and yours!
Love,
Momma
Very nice.
Is this a hint to someone?
Very meaningful poem!!!! Congratulation!!!!
Thank you for that, it's nice to put the season in perspective
Post a Comment