If this post looks too long to read, it really wasn't meant for you. I am going to take the liberty to type out whatever I want, after all this is my blog.
Last night as I was tucking Jackson into bed, I spent a few minutes telling him about the day before he was born...
Five years ago was my last day at work at K-TEC/Blendtec. I started out my day by eating an apple for breakfast. By about 10am I wasn't feeling normal. Nothing really extreme and I almost convinced myself that I was just trying to get out of work. After about an hour, I called my manager and told her that I just wasn't feeling right. Again, nothing drastic. At the time, we were living with my mom while our house was being built and thankfully she worked just a couple of miles away from where I worked. I called mom up at about 11am and asked if she would pick me up and take me home during her lunch break. Just a few minutes after that call, I headed for the bathroom, not knowing what was about to happen. I rushed in there and couldn't get into the one working stall. All of the sudden the urge to vomit overwhelmed me so much that I bolted for the other stall, out of order, and started puking all over. (Like I said, this post was not meant for you but me. I am documenting this memory for myself). I still feel bad for the person that had to clean the stall and unclog that toilet....
After I had composed myself, I quickly logged out of my computer and clocked out so that I could sit in the foyer and wait for my mom. She picked me up and took me home. After vomiting the rest of the afternoon, Mom called Dr Berry. He told her that he would call in a prescription to help the nausea and he didn't think I was going into labor. Mom was so sweet to try anything to make me comfortable. I remember she got me fruit juice popsicles but took them away once she realized they had splenda in them and she also got me lime flavored tortilla chips. Mom even gave up her bed so that I would be closer to the bathroom in case I needed to vomit again. By early evening the vomiting subsided and we sat in the front room watching TV. That night we all went to bed, Scott and I in Mom's room and Mom in the front room on an air mattress. At exactly 12:00 midnight I jumped out of bed without explanation. I wondered why I was so alert and thought I must need to go to the bathroom. After visiting the toilet, I still didn't know what had brought me out of my deep sleep.....OUCH My back felt like someone had drilled their fingers into my lower spine and started twisting. That's what woke me up. After a few seconds the pain subsided.. Maybe I got up too fast. I went back to the bed and felt it again. Back pain like that should only be saved for.....nobody. After a few more minutes of suffering in silence, I woke Scott. He spent the whole night trying to ease the pain. He pushed on my lower back. He rubbed my back. He prayed with me. Scott did everything I asked. The pain continued off and on. By 7am I thought it was safe to leave the room and wake Mom. She watched me get through one contraction and asked me why we had waited so long to GET TO THE HOSPITAL YOU'RE IN LABOR. The drive from home to Orem Community was the longest drive of my life. Come to think of it, I think the contractions switched to the front when I was sitting in the car. After Scott parked the car, I ended up on all fours in the parking lot trying to ease yet another contraction. By then I had been in labor for about 8 hours. We made it to the hospital, "No you can not push me in a wheel chair Scott," and checked into the maternity center. After a quick check the nurse said I was dilated to a 6 and effaced to an 8. I called work and told them that yesterday would have been my last day. Dr Berry made it in to visit with me by about 10am. He gave me the option of having my water broken. By then I had endured 10 hours of hard back labor and did not think I could handle "faster and harder" pains once my water was broken. I opted for the heaven sent epidural after he broke my water. Seriously, the last pain I felt was the psychological pain of picturing a needle being inserted in my back. Once that drama was over, all the pain was gone. Scott and I ended up being a little bored for a few hours. The nurses would come and check the progress but it wasn't until about 3:30pm that things started picking up again. Dr Berry came back to the hospital when the nurses informed him that I was ready to push. It took a good hour or so to push the baby out. The baby started to go into distress during pushing so I got an episiotomy and the vacuum was used. Snip, snip and a little suction and Dr Berry plopped a baby on my tummy.
My baby, my boy.
Jackson Scott Davis was born at 4:45pm on Tuesday, November 25, 2003. Weighing in at 7lb 6oz. He was perfect! Beautiful! I could not contain my emotions.
Quick, Scott, drive to SLC to sign paperwork and get the key to our new house. Scott was on the phone for the better part of an hour trying to convince the title company to stay open a little longer so that he could be here for the birth of his first child and still get that key before they closed up for the rest of the week to celebrate Thanksgiving.
Once Jackson was born, the crying started. I guess it was just baptism by fire. The nurse even came in one night to take him from me because he was crying too much, but I couldn't let him go. I was in love with him!
Scott spent as much time at the hospital as he could. On Thanksgiving Day we were released from the hospital to come home. Scott had not moved all of our belongings into our new home so we went to Mom's. She made us a wonderful pot roast dinner for Thanksgiving.
Jackson, I love you so much. I am so happy to have you as my son. As I sit here remembering that day, your birth day, I can't contain my emotions. We've been through a lot these past five years. Sometimes it feels like an eternity to me, but other times I feel like it was just yesterday that you were a newborn. Thank you so much for choosing me as your mommy. I love you so much, so much!
Happy birthday sweetheart!
4 comments:
That is awesome! I only got teary eyed a few times:( and got goose bumps every paragraph. Happy Birthday Jackson! We love you!
I'm crying too. Very sweet memories.
Happy birthday young man!!!
I too remember that day. I got to be in the room when you, Jackson, were born! What a beautiful baby boy! Thank you Holly for that gift! I love you both!
Love,
Momma and Bahma
Post a Comment