Thursday, April 2, 2009

That Ancient Willow Tree in the Back

One of the perks of the location that we chose to have our home built was the ancient willow tree behind our property. This tree is humongous. I could not tell you how old or how tall but I bet it could tell you amazing stories from the many generations of children that played among its branches.
This tree is beautiful in all seasons of the year. In the Winter, it holds onto that thick frost and makes a postcard perfect image. In the Spring the bright green leaves begin to uncurl, signalling that start of the season. In the Summer this tree is the best place in the neighborhood for the kids to play. It has an amazing multi-trunk structure that can be shared by all. The shade that this gigantic tree makes becomes a welcomed retreat for the overheated. In the Fall, the leaves turn a golden yellow and flutter to the ground.
We have even used this tree as a backdrop for family pictures. It is truly beautiful in it's natural form.
So, why am I reminiscing about this amazing tree that I have watched out my back window for over 5 years? This morning right at 10:45, it started to come down. In under an hour, this ancient tree was pushed over and then pulverized.
The Pioneer Crossing roadway is going to run right along our back property line and that beautiful, amazing, ancient tree was in the way. It's no more than a pile of splinters now. What a shame.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

That stinks. Is the Pioneer Crossing roadway going to be busy?

Wallace said...

What about my pet lizard I buried next to that tree? Doesn't that get any recognition...The dead has been unburied...oh the quakings in heaven for such a stupid act! Argh! Beware, Hell is coming to those that think they can build for money!!

Sara & Jess Phillips said...

Wow, Angie seems pretty upset by the this whole ordeal;). I wasn't sure where your house was but I do now. We were driving around out there last week and went by there to see what's going on in the old 13th ward and to visit the Freelands. I can't believe Ann Bailey's house, it's huge now!!!

Bugs said...

I'm so sad about the baby birdies that lost their home!